Best Movies by Farr

Welcome to Best Movies by Farr Blog - the best place to talk about your favorite films, and mine.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Memories of Altman

I just finished reading your part two about Robert Altman.

I'm "nobody." My son, Jarrett Lennon (Kaufman) was in Short Cuts (Chad Weathers) and, because he was a minor, I of course "HAD" to be by his side for the entire work-time. I cannot begin to tell you what a delightful, soul-satisfying time both Jarrett and I had with Bob, as well as the rest of the crew and cast. Bob was the dearest man, and he gave me as much attention as anyone else, and we talked politics, art, and a great deal about my parents (both labor union organizers, Commies, friends of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, the whole history that goes with all that). Day after day, week after week, it was an absolute joy to be around that dear man.

What Jarrett and I both, to this day, appreciate most about Bob (besides his extraordinary artistic talent) is that everyone was equally important on the set. He knew that; we knew that. It was good to be around someone who recognized how very much every single being counts on one of his shoots.

The friendship between my then-little boy (who turned 25 today, the 1st of February) and Bob lasted through phone calls.

Bob's death knocked me out. I'm still reeling from it, amazingly enough.

I am glad you got to meet Bob and feel just a bit of his wonderful self.

Upstairs is Daphne. She is a very old little lizard, now, but in 1992, she also had a small part in Short Cuts. As Peter Gallagher's about to stomp down the side of his former house, we see what appears to be a scary monster. The camera quickly pulls back, revealing it's a tiny lizard in the hands of Jarrett, as seen through Frances McDormand's kitchen window [and yet another through-the-window shot, eh?). Sweet Daphne is a daily reminder of Bob, because Bob gave Jarrett her, but that's a whole other super wonderful little story on just how personal Bob always was.

I have a huge lump in my throat right now.

Thank you for your good words about Robert Altman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home